Saturday, March 04, 2006

Opening Day


Today was Jason's very first Opening Day of his Baseball career. It was really exciting on many levels. Baseball goes deep in the Lind family. It runs through the veins. He's been looking forward to playing baseball for quite some time now, but I don't think nearly as much as Steve has been looking forward to watching Jason play! The boys were so cute in their little uniforms getting ready for pictures. Silas was walking around the whole time carrying the baseball bat, saying "I want to play baseball!" It's hard to believe he's still two years away from swinging the bat officially. We've got a great team and a wonderful coach which makes the first season all the more great.

During the ceremony, it dawned on me once again what a blessing it has been for us to live in San Pedro. I've lived in the South Bay almost my entire life but never realized what a jewel in the crown San Pedro is. Families have lived here for generations. It's got that small town feel to it in that so many people know each other or know of each other. There are names that you hear every where you go (those usually ending with a vich, cich, etc!). People take pride in supporting local businesses as well as the sports.

When I am in situations like today's, it's hard for me not to want to pop my head in to every store front and introduce my family and try to establish an instant bond with the proprietors in an effort to feel as connected as these locals! However, I know these things take time and I'm actually very thankful for that.

No comments: